How To Report a Dangerous Trucking Company or Driver in Nevada

How to report a dangerous trucking company or driver in Nevada

Every day, trucking companies and their drivers make sure that goods are delivered safely across the country. According to the Nevada Department of Transportation, commercial motor vehicles are the third largest group of vehicles on the road. While most individuals and companies follow all the rules and regulations, others might engage in reckless or dangerous behavior.

If you encounter a dangerous trucking company or driver while on the road, you need to take action. Whether you have witnessed or know of information that a driver or company may be engaging in dangerous or possibly illegal activities, here is what you can do to report the problem.

What Actions Should You Report?

Reporting a dangerous company or driver can help prevent dangerous trucking accidents on Nevada’s roads. When these parties operate in an unsafe manner, they put everyone on the road at risk.

While behaviors like drunk driving and road rage should be immediately reported to your local law enforcement, these activities should also be reported to the appropriate agencies:

  • Unsafe driving
  • Hours of Service violations
  • Hazardous materials issues
  • Vehicle maintenance issues
  • Cargo securement violations
  • Driver qualification concerns

What Do You Need to Make a Complaint?

When reporting an incident involving a trucking company, you should have all the pertinent details ready. Without that vital information, the situation might not be handled appropriately.

Before making an official complaint, you will want to collect information about the trucking company, such as its name, address, and license/operating number. If there were any identifying details about the vehicle involved in the incident, note that down, too.

If you are driving and encounter a dangerous driver, make a note of their identifying information. Unless you stop them on the road, you might not get their name. However, you can still write down their license plate number and truck number. Don’t forget to detail any visible identifiers, like company uniforms or badges.

When making a complaint, you need to have a clear and accurate account of the incident. For that reason, be sure to record the event’s date, time, and location. You will need to describe what you saw on the road, whether it is reckless driving, overloading, or any other safety violations that may have occurred. When you have all this information in advance, you can help ensure that the situation is addressed quickly and effectively by the right agency.

Now that you have this information, which agency should be alerted?

Who Do You Contact?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is responsible for enforcing regulations on the road and ensuring the safe operation of all commercial motor vehicles. If you spot a dangerous truck driver or trucking company, you should contact them first.

The FMCSA has a Safety Violation Hotline set up specifically for these incidents. You can call 1-888-DOT-SAFT (368-7238) Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 8 PM (EST). If you would rather submit a complaint via their website, make sure to visit the FMCSA National Consumer Complaint Website.

When reporting a safety violation, you should describe the incident in detail. In the complaint, always emphasize the safety violation that occurred. If you have any photos, videos, or witness statements, include them in your report.

By providing as much detail as possible, you can help the FMCSA take appropriate action to address the safety violations and prevent future incidents.

Once you’ve submitted a complaint, you can follow up with the FMCSA. Your report will be added to the National Consumer Complaint Database. You can track other consumer issues involving the driver or trucking company on this website as well.

The FMCSA operates at a national level, but are there any state-wide agencies that handle complaints? The Nevada Department of Transportation is responsible for regulating trucking operations in the state.

For issues such as oversized or overweight vehicles, you may want to contact their office. You can call (800) 552-2127 or (775) 888-7410 Monday to Friday (8 AM to 5 PM).

If the issue is an emergency, you can also reach out to your local law enforcement agency or the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Highway Patrol Division at (775) 687-5300.

Keeping the Roads Safe for Everyone

Unfortunately, we hear about dangerous drivers and trucking companies operating vehicles on the roads all the time. Often, their actions can lead to dangerous and even deadly consciences for other vehicle occupants. While you may not want to get involved, it is everyone’s responsibility to keep the roadways and highways safe. Remember, if you see something, say something.

At the Trucking Injury Law Group, we have witnessed our clients experience a lifetime of pain and hardship due to the actions of these dangerous trucking companies and drivers. If someone had taken action, then these accidents could have been prevented. Together, we can help keep Nevada’s roads safer for everyone.